Date: May 18, 2013
Dear PHP-GTK Friends,
What is kksou PHP-GTK Explorer?
The "kksou PHP-GTK Explorer" is a unique tool for learning, exploring, understanding and mastering the PHP-GTK2 classes and methods.
It's like the Dev_Inspector (from gnope.org), but with a lot more functionalities added, as highlighted below.
Viewing the Object Hierarchy
One of the most important thing in mastering php-gtk2 is to understand the object hierarchy of a widget, i.e. who are its ancestors, its siblings and its children. The "kksou PHP-GTK Explorer" have three different tabs to show you these three views.
View 1: The Object Hierarchy For GtkToggleButton
View 2: GtkToggleButton and its siblings
View 3: GtkToggleButton and its children
View 4: The Entire PHP-GTK2 Classes Object Hierarchy
For those who are adventurous, there is also one tab where you can see the entire object hierarchy of all the PHP-GTK2 classes (340+ for the Gnope version, and 400+ for the beta release).
Search for widget: Auto-completion
The Search for Widget field supports auto-completion. Just start typing, e.g. "gtkb", you will be presented with a list of widgets that match "gtkb" as shown below:
Search for methods / signals
new in v1.03
Suppose you want to look up the man page for the method pack_start(), you must first know which widget it belongs to. Now with PHP-GTK2 Explorer v1.03, you can simply type in pack_start in the search field, and you will be displayed with all widgets with the method
pack_start() as shown below:
new in v1.03
Now with PHP-GTK2 Explorer v1.03, just press the F8, and you will be able to browse all the widgets that you have explorerd. Click on the history item, and you will be taken directly back to that widget as shown below:
Below are the highlights of other major features of the "PHP-GTK Explorer":
- A tab that lists only the methods specific to the selected widget.
- A tab that lists ALL the methods, including all the inherited methods from its ancestors, of the selected widget.
- Highlight a method and press Ctrl-C to copy the method to the clipboard. You can then paste the method to your favorite editor.
- Press the middle mouse button on any widget (on the left pane) or method/signal (on the right pane). The corresponding official PHP-GTK2 man page will be displayed in the browser.
- Press the right mouse button to popup a context-sensitive menu.
- Press F3 to go back to the previous widget you have explored, and F4 to move foward.
- Press Ctrl-L to set the language of the official PHP-GTK2 man page (currently provided in gtk.php.net: English, Brazilian, Bulgarian, Simplified Chinese and Japanese)
- For linux users, press Ctrl-B to set the path to your browser.
Is this Free?
Yes, just like many of the sample codes in this web site, the program is free for personal use!
So, go ahead and download a copy (from the download area). Whether you're starting on php-gtk2 or a seasoned php-gtk2 programmer, I think you'll find this tool useful.
Enjoy, and have lots of fun with php-gtk!
- For linux users, if you wish to "hardcode" the browser path in the program, please drop me a note via the feedback form.
- If you wish to "hardcode" the language setting, please also drop me a note via the feedback form.
Please enter your feedback and comments below.